Posttraumatic hepatic artery pseudoaneurysm presenting as gastrointestinal bleeding
1,Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology University Hospital Center
2,Department of Internal Medicine University Hospital Center
DOI: 10.22514/SV91.042014.11 Vol.9,Issue 1,April 2014 pp.57-59
Published: 30 April 2014
Posttraumatic hepatic artery pseudoaneurysm is a rare, but life threatening condition which should be considered in pati-ents with a history of blunt abdominal trauma who present with abdominal pain or gastrointestinal bleeding. We report a case of a patient with such a pseudoaneurysm discovered five months after a bicycle accident resulting in hepatic rupture that was treated conservatively. The patient presented with fatigue, dizziness, inability to tolerate major exertion and gastro-intestinal bleeding. After extensive diagnostic procedures, a right hepatic artery pseudoaneurysm was found. The condition was treated successfully with transcatheter coil embolization.
blunt abdominal trauma, hepatic artery, pseudoaneurysm, embolization, gastrointestinal blee-ding, abdominal pain
LIANA CAMBJ–SAPUNAR,TONKA PIPLOVIĆ–VUKOVIĆ,MIROSLAV ŠIMUNIĆ,ŽARKO ARDALIĆ,ANTE TONKIĆ–VUKOVIĆ,NIKOLA PERKOVIĆ,MARINA MARAS–ŠIMUNIĆ. Posttraumatic hepatic artery pseudoaneurysm presenting as gastrointestinal bleeding. Signa Vitae. 2014. 9(1);57-59.
1. Luo X, Tan S, Wang J, Qian C. Upper gastrointestinal haemorrhage from hepatic artery pseudoaneurysm secondary to trauma:a case report. Med Princ Pract 2010;19:493-5.
2. Gondolesi GE, Matsumoto C, Wayne M, Schwartz ME. Post-traumatic pseudoaneurysm of the common hepatic artery with duodenal fistula. HPB (Oxford) 2002;4:183-6.
3. Aboujaoude M, Noel B, Beaudoin M, Ghattas G, Lalonde L, The Bao Bui, et all. Pseudoaneurysm of the proper hepatic artery with duodenal fistula appearing as a late complication of blunt abdominal trauma. J Trauma 1996;40:123-5.
4. Bardes JM, Caranasos TG, Vaughan RA. Hepatic artery pseudoaneurysm: delayed presentation after bicycle accident. J Trauma 2011;71:783.
5. Vainas T, Klompenhouwer E, Duijm L, Tielbeek X, Teijink J. Endovascular treatment of a hepatic artery pseudoaneurysm associated with gastrointestinal tract bleeding. J Vasc Surg 2012;55:1145-9.
6. Balderi A, Antonietti A, Ferro L, Peano E, Pedrazzini F, Fonio P, et all. Endovascular treatment of visceral artery aneurysms and pseudoa-neurysms: our experience. Radiol Med 2012;117:815-30.
7. Ikeda O, Tamura Y, Nakasone Y, Iryou Y, Yamashita Y. Nonoperative management of unruptured visceral artery aneurysms: treatment by transcatheter coil embolization. J Vasc Surg 2008;47:1212-9.
8. Reiter DA, Fischman AM, Shy BD. Hepatic Artery Pseudoaneurysm Rupture: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. J Emerg Med 2013 Jan;44(1):100-3.
9. Matthes G, Stengel D, Seifert J, Rademacher G, Mutze S, Ekkernkamp A. Blunt liver injuries in polytrauma: results from a cohort study with the regular use of whole-body helical computed tomography. World J Surg 2003;27:1124-30.
10. Ahmed N, Vernick JJ. Management of liver trauma in adults. J Emerg Trauma Shock 2011 Jan-Mar; 4(1):114–9.
11. Yoon W, Jeong YY, Kim JK, Seo JJ, Lim HS, Shin SS, et al. CT in blunt liver trauma. Radiographics 2005;25:87-104.
12. Taourel P, Vernhet H, Suau A, Granier C, Lopez FM. Vascular emergencies in liver trauma. Eur J Radiol 2007;64:73-82.
13. Janik V, Labos M, Vyhnanek F. Embolization of Post-Traumatic Pseudoaneurysm of the Proper Hepatic Artery. Surgery Curr Res 2012;2:4.
14. Gondolesi GE, Matsumoto C, Wayne M, Schwartz ME. Post-traumatic pseudoaneurysm of the common hepatic artery with duodenal fistula. HPB (Oxford) 2002;4:183-6.
15. Reiter DA, Fischman AM, Shy BD. Hepatic Artery Pseudoaneurysm Rupture: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. J Emerg Med 2013 Jan;44(1):100-3.
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) Created as SCI in 1964, Science Citation Index Expanded now indexes over 9,200 of the world’s most impactful journals across 178 scientific disciplines. More than 53 million records and 1.18 billion cited references date back from 1900 to present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.
Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index The CAS Source Index (CASSI) Search Tool is an online resource that can quickly identify or confirm journal titles and abbreviations for publications indexed by CAS since 1907, including serial and non-serial scientific and technical publications.
IndexCopernicus The Index Copernicus International (ICI) Journals database’s is an international indexation database of scientific journals. It covered international scientific journals which divided into general information, contents of individual issues, detailed bibliography (references) sections for every publication, as well as full texts of publications in the form of attached files (optional). For now, there are more than 58,000 scientific journals registered at ICI.
Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research The Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research (GFMER) is a non-profit organization established in 2002 and it works in close collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO). The overall objectives of the Foundation are to promote and develop health education and research programs.
Scopus Scopus is Elsevier's abstract and citation database launched in 2004. Scopus covers nearly 36,377 titles (22,794 active titles and 13,583 Inactive titles) from approximately 11,678 publishers, of which 34,346 are peer-reviewed journals in top-level subject fields: life sciences, social sciences, physical sciences and health sciences.
Embase Embase (often styled EMBASE for Excerpta Medica dataBASE), produced by Elsevier, is a biomedical and pharmacological database of published literature designed to support information managers and pharmacovigilance in complying with the regulatory requirements of a licensed drug.