Unintentional Cannulation of Aberrant Radial Artery: Review and Treatment Recommendations
1,Department of Anesthesiology Mayo Clinic
DOI: 10.22514/SV62.102011.15 Vol.6,Issue 2,October 2011 pp.89-90
Published: 31 October 2011
We present the case of a patient who had an unintentional placement of an arterial catheter in an aberrant radial artery. This arterial abnormality is reviewed, as are the potential consequences of intra-arterial injection. Finally, treatment reco-mmendations are summarized.
aberrant radial artery, intra arterial injection, vasospasm
FRANCIS X. WHALEN,DAVID P. MARTIN. Unintentional Cannulation of Aberrant Radial Artery: Review and Treatment Recommendations. Signa Vitae. 2011. 6(2);89-90.
1. Evans F . Thrombosis after injection of pentothal sodium. Lancet 1939;234(6048):252-3.
2. McCormack LJ, Cauldwell EW, Anson BJ. Brachial and antebrachial arterial patterns; a study of 750 extremities. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1953;96(1):43-54.
3. Cohen SM. Accidental intra-arterial injection of drugs. Lancet 1948;255:361-71;409-16.
4. Iatrou C, Robinson S, Rosewarne F. Inadvertent intra-arterial midazolam. Anaesth Intensive Care 1997;25(4):431.
5. Ang B. Prolonged cutaneous sequelae after intra-arterial injection of propofol. Singapore Med J 1998;39(3):124-6.
6. Mazumder JK, Metcalf IR, Holland AJC. Inadvertent intra-arterial injection of thiopentone. Can Anaesth Soc J 1980;27(4):395-8.
7. Klodell CT, Lobato EB, Willert JL, Gravenstein N. Oximetry-derived perfusion index for intraoperative identification of successful thoracic sympathectomy. Ann Thorac Surg 2005;80(2): 467-70.
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) Created as SCI in 1964, Science Citation Index Expanded now indexes over 9,200 of the world’s most impactful journals across 178 scientific disciplines. More than 53 million records and 1.18 billion cited references date back from 1900 to present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.
Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index The CAS Source Index (CASSI) Search Tool is an online resource that can quickly identify or confirm journal titles and abbreviations for publications indexed by CAS since 1907, including serial and non-serial scientific and technical publications.
IndexCopernicus The Index Copernicus International (ICI) Journals database’s is an international indexation database of scientific journals. It covered international scientific journals which divided into general information, contents of individual issues, detailed bibliography (references) sections for every publication, as well as full texts of publications in the form of attached files (optional). For now, there are more than 58,000 scientific journals registered at ICI.
Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research The Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research (GFMER) is a non-profit organization established in 2002 and it works in close collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO). The overall objectives of the Foundation are to promote and develop health education and research programs.
Scopus Scopus is Elsevier's abstract and citation database launched in 2004. Scopus covers nearly 36,377 titles (22,794 active titles and 13,583 Inactive titles) from approximately 11,678 publishers, of which 34,346 are peer-reviewed journals in top-level subject fields: life sciences, social sciences, physical sciences and health sciences.
Embase Embase (often styled EMBASE for Excerpta Medica dataBASE), produced by Elsevier, is a biomedical and pharmacological database of published literature designed to support information managers and pharmacovigilance in complying with the regulatory requirements of a licensed drug.