Mediastinal tube placement in a premature infant with cardiorespiratory derangement due to ventilator associated
1Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital Rijeka
DOI: 10.22514/SV41.042009.6 Vol.4,Issue 1,April 2009 pp.27-29
Published: 09 April 2009
While mediastinal free air in the ventilated newborn is usually benign, tension pneumomediastinum can lead to further cardiorespiratory compromise due to the compression of mediastinal structures, including the heart and large blood vessels. The authors present a case of life-threatening pneumomediastinum in a ventilated preterm leading to abrupt onset of cardiorespiratory failure. An 8 French (Fr) drainage catheter was placed in the anterior mediastinum using the 2nd right intercostal space as an insertion site, with prompt hemodynamic improvement. A brief description of the drainage technique and a literature review is presented.
hemodynamics, mechani-cal ventilation, pneumomediastinum, pneumothorax, thoracocentesis
SANDRO DESSARDO,KRISTINA LAH TOMULIĆ,NEVEN FRLETA,NADA SINDIĆIĆ DESSARDO. Mediastinal tube placement in a premature infant with cardiorespiratory derangement due to ventilator associated pneumomediastinum. Signa Vitae. 2009. 4(1);27-29.
1. Hauri-Hohl A, Baenzigar O, Frey B. Pneumomediastinum in the neonatal and pediatric intensive care unit. Eur J Pediatr 2008;167:415-8.
2. Case CL, Oslizlok P, Fyfe D, Gilette PC. Neonatal pneumomediastinum with isolated mitral obstruction. Arch Dis Child 1990;65:56-8.
3. Livingston DH. Management of the surgical patient in MOSF. Am J Surg 1993;165(2A Suppl):8-13.
4. Turlapati KM, Spear RM, Peterson BM. Mediastinal tube placement in children with pneumomediastinum: Hemodynamic changes and description of technique. Ped Crit Care 1996;24(7):1257-60.
5. Chen CJ, Hsu ML, Diau GY, Fan HC, L SH, Lin WJ, et al. Neonatal spontaneous pneumomediastinum. J Med Sci 2003;23(1):49-52.
6. Beg MH, Reyazzudin MM. Traumatic tension pneumomediastinum mimicking cardiac tamponade. Thorax 1988;43:576-7.
7. Unger DL, Pifarre R. Tracheotomy for subcutaneous emphysema and pneumomediastinum complicating asthma. Chest 1972;61:691-2.
8. Thiebault DW, Lachman RS, Laul VR. Pulmonary interstitial emphysema, pneumomediastinum and pneumothorax. Am J Dis Chil 1973;126:611-4.
9. Chau HH, Kwok PC, Lai AK, Fan TW, Chan SC, Miu TY, et al. Percutaneous relief of tension pneumomediastinum in a child. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 2003;26(6):561-3.
10. Mohamed IS, Lee YH, Yamout SZ, Fakir S, Reynolds AM. Ultrasound guided percutaneous relief of tension pneumomediastinum in a 1-day old newborn. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2007;92(6):458.
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) Created as SCI in 1964, Science Citation Index Expanded now indexes over 9,200 of the world’s most impactful journals across 178 scientific disciplines. More than 53 million records and 1.18 billion cited references date back from 1900 to present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.
Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index The CAS Source Index (CASSI) Search Tool is an online resource that can quickly identify or confirm journal titles and abbreviations for publications indexed by CAS since 1907, including serial and non-serial scientific and technical publications.
IndexCopernicus The Index Copernicus International (ICI) Journals database’s is an international indexation database of scientific journals. It covered international scientific journals which divided into general information, contents of individual issues, detailed bibliography (references) sections for every publication, as well as full texts of publications in the form of attached files (optional). For now, there are more than 58,000 scientific journals registered at ICI.
Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research The Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research (GFMER) is a non-profit organization established in 2002 and it works in close collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO). The overall objectives of the Foundation are to promote and develop health education and research programs.
Scopus: CiteScore 0.5(2019) Scopus is Elsevier's abstract and citation database launched in 2004. Scopus covers nearly 36,377 titles (22,794 active titles and 13,583 Inactive titles) from approximately 11,678 publishers, of which 34,346 are peer-reviewed journals in top-level subject fields: life sciences, social sciences, physical sciences and health sciences.
Embase Embase (often styled EMBASE for Excerpta Medica dataBASE), produced by Elsevier, is a biomedical and pharmacological database of published literature designed to support information managers and pharmacovigilance in complying with the regulatory requirements of a licensed drug.