Bispectral analysis in medical-surgical ICU
1Department of Anaesthesiology, Reanimatology and Intensive Care, General Hospital Karlovac, Karlovac, Croatia
2Karlovac University of Applied Sciences
DOI: 10.22514/SV101.062015.4 Vol.10,Issue S1,June 2015 pp.20-22
Published: 22 June 2015
The effectiveness of sedation in the ICU is routinely assessed by subjective monitor-ing of the patient’s clinical condition or by using the monitors. The aim of our study was to review the monitoring of sedation using bispectral analysis (BIS) in medical-surgical ICU. A retrospective analysis of patients who were treated in the ICU from 2008 to 2014 was made. The data of 104 pa-tients were analyzed. The average values of age are 54.38 (SD ±18,93; median 58). 39 (37,5%) of the patients died. The patients were referred to the ICU from medical (37), surgical departments (23) and trau-matology (44). The patients were treated in the ICU for 13.84 days (SD ±17.29; me-dian 8). The burst suppression pattern was noticed in 31 (29.8%) patients. Delirium occurred in 3 patients after the separa-tion from the ventilator. In heterogene-ous groups of patients, in which BIS was applied, it is not possible to make certain conclusions. The cost of the method unfor-tunately limits its wider usage. It is neces-sary to wait for the results of future studies which will set clear indications for the use of BIS in certain groups of patients.
bispectral index, critical care, monitoring, sedation
JOSIP ŽUNIĆ,MIRJANA LONČARIĆ-KATUŠIN,MATIJA BELAVIĆ. Bispectral analysis in medical-surgical ICU. Signa Vitae. 2015. 10(S1);20-22.
1. Tonner PH, Paris A, Scholz J. Monitoring consciousness in intensive care medicine Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthtesiol 2006;20:191-200.
2. Pilge S, Kreuzer M, Karatchiviev V, Kochs EF, Malcharek M, Schneider G. Differences between state entropy and bispectral index during analysis of identical electroencephalogram signals: A randomised comparison of two anaesthetic techniques. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2015;32:354-365.
3. De Deyne C, Struys M, Decruyenaere J, Creupelandt J, Hoste E, Colardyn F. Use of continuous bispectral EEG monitoring to assess depth of seda-tion in ICU patients. Intensive Care Med. 1998;24:1294-1298.
4. Sharma A, Singh PM, Trikha A, Rewari V, Chandralekha. Entropy correlates with Richmond Agitation Sedation Scale in mechanically ventilated critically ill patients. J Clin Monit Comput. 2014;28:193-201.
5. Nasraway SA, Wu EC, Kelleher RM, Yasuda CM, Donnelly AM. How Reliable is the Bispectral Index in Critically Ill Patients? A Prospective, Com-parative, Single-Blinded Observer Study. Crit Care Med 2002;30:12483-1487.
6. Xue JX, Zhao GG, Liu QH, Xu GX, Bornemann H, Rehak PH, et all.BIS-vista occipital montage in patients undergoing neurosurgical procedures during propofol-remifentanil anesthesia. Anesthesiology. 2010;112:645-651.
7. Chan MT, Cheng BC, Lee TM, Gin T; CODA Trial Group. BIS-guided anesthesia decreases postoperative delirium and cognitive decline. J Neuro-surg Anesthesiol. 2013;25:33-42.
8. 8. Andresen JM, Girard TD, Pandharipande PP, Davidson MA, Ely EW, Watson PL. Burst suppression on processed electroencephalography as a predictor of postcoma delirium in mechanically ventilated ICU patients. Crit Care Med. 2014; 42:2244-2251.
9. Stammet P, Collignon O, Werer C, Sertznig C, Devaux Y. Bispectral inedx to predict neurological outcome early after cardiac arrest. Resuscitation 2014;85:1674-1680.
10. Stammet P, Wagner DR, Gilson G, Devaux Y. Modeling serum level of s100ß and bispectral indeks to predict outcome after cardiac arrest. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013;62:851-858.
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) The Science Citation Index (SCI) is a citation index originally produced by the Institute for Scientific Information (ISI) and created by Eugene Garfield. It (Science Citation Index Expanded) covers more than 8,500 notable and significant journals, across 150 disciplines in science and technology, from 1900 to the present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.
Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index The CAS Source Index (CASSI) Search Tool is an online resource that can quickly identify or confirm journal titles and abbreviations for publications indexed by CAS since 1907, including serial and non-serial scientific and technical publications.
IndexCopernicus The Index Copernicus International (ICI) Journals database’s is an international indexation database of scientific journals. It covered international scientific journals which divided into general information, contents of individual issues, detailed bibliography (references) sections for every publication, as well as full texts of publications in the form of attached files (optional). For now, there are more than 58,000 scientific journals registered at ICI.
Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research The Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research (GFMER) is a non-profit organization established in 2002 and it works in close collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO). The overall objectives of the Foundation are to promote and develop health education and research programs.
Scopus Scopus is Elsevier's abstract and citation database launched in 2004. Scopus covers nearly 36,377 titles (22,794 active titles and 13,583 Inactive titles) from approximately 11,678 publishers, of which 34,346 are peer-reviewed journals in top-level subject fields: life sciences, social sciences, physical sciences and health sciences.
Embase Embase (often styled EMBASE for Excerpta Medica dataBASE), produced by Elsevier, is a biomedical and pharmacological database of published literature designed to support information managers and pharmacovigilance in complying with the regulatory requirements of a licensed drug.