Bedside ultrasound diagnosis of portal vein thrombosis following cholecystectomy: a case report
1University Department of Anaesthesiology, Reanimatology and Intensive Care, University Hospital Centre Zagreb
DOI: 10.22514/SV101.062015.19 Vol.10,Issue S1,June 2015 pp.66-67
Published: 22 June 2015
Portal vein thrombosis is a condition when the thrombus is blocking or nar-rowing blood flow of the portal vein. The initial approach in diagnosis of portal vein thrombosis for a non-transportable critically ill patient is a colour Doppler ultrasonography. We present a case of an 82-year-old female with partial portal vein thrombosis following urgent cholecystec-tomy and choledochotomy. The clinical deterioration of the patient with hemo-dynamic and respiratory instability, acute renal failure, liver damage and metabolic acidosis, prevented the patient’s transport for computed tomography diagnostics. A bedside abdominal ultrasonography was performed and revealed a partial obstruc-tion of the left branch of the portal vein, while a confluent part of the portal vein showed a complete absence of flow. Thera-py with low molecular weight heparin was immediately started. Definitive confirma-tion of portal vein thrombosis with the ab-dominal computed tomography imaging was possible almost 24 hours after clinical and laboratory deterioration. This case il-lustrates the importance of rapid bedside ultrasonography in diagnosis of thrombo-embolic events in the abdomen.
bedside ultrasonography, portal vein thrombosis, liver dysfunction
ROBERT BARONICA,TAJANA ZAH BOGOVIĆ,DRAŽENA GERBL,IVONA HANŽEK,DANIELA BANDIĆ PAVLOVIĆ,VESNA VEGAR BROZOVIĆ,MLADEN PERIĆ. Bedside ultrasound diagnosis of portal vein thrombosis following cholecystectomy: a case report. Signa Vitae. 2015. 10(S1);66-67.
1. James AW, Rabl C, Westphalen AC, Fogarty PF, Posselt AM, Campos GM. Portomesenteric venous thrombosis after laparoscopic surgery: a systematic literature review. Arch Surg 2009 Jun;144(6):520-526.
2. Ikoma N, Anderson CL, Ohanian M, Juneja HS, MacFadyen BV, Shah SK, KS Bajwa Portal Vein Thrombosis After Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy. JSLS 2014; 18(1):125–127.
3. Sacerdoti D, Serianni G, Gaiani S, Bolognesi M, Bombonato G, Gatta A. Thrombosis of the portal venous system. J Ultrasound 2007; 10(1):12–21.
4. Sanyal AJ. Acute portal vein thrombosis in adults: Clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and management. Editors: Chopra S, Travis AC. Aug 28, 2013. Retrieved from http://www.uptodate.com
5. Thomas RM, Ahmad SA. Management of acute post-operative portal venous thrombosis. J Gastrointest Surg 2010;14(3):570-577.
6. Chacko J, Brar G. Bedside ultrasonography-Applications in critical care: Part II. Indian J Crit Care Med 2014;18:376-381.
7. Sanyal AJ. Epidemiology and pathogenesis of portal vein thrombosis in adults. Editors: Chopra S, Travis AC. Sep 26, 2014. Re-trieved from http://www.uptodate.com
8. DeLeve LD, Valla DC, Garcia-Tsao G. American Association for the Study Liver Diseases. Vascular disorders of the liver. Hepatol-ogy 2009;49(5):1729-1764.
9. Friedman LS. Ischemic hepatitis, hepatic infarction, and ischemic cholangiopathy. Editors: Chopra S, Travis AC. Dec 16, 2013. Retrieved from http://www.uptodate.com
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) The Science Citation Index (SCI) is a citation index originally produced by the Institute for Scientific Information (ISI) and created by Eugene Garfield. It (Science Citation Index Expanded) covers more than 8,500 notable and significant journals, across 150 disciplines in science and technology, from 1900 to the present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.
Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index The CAS Source Index (CASSI) Search Tool is an online resource that can quickly identify or confirm journal titles and abbreviations for publications indexed by CAS since 1907, including serial and non-serial scientific and technical publications.
IndexCopernicus The Index Copernicus International (ICI) Journals database’s is an international indexation database of scientific journals. It covered international scientific journals which divided into general information, contents of individual issues, detailed bibliography (references) sections for every publication, as well as full texts of publications in the form of attached files (optional). For now, there are more than 58,000 scientific journals registered at ICI.
Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research The Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research (GFMER) is a non-profit organization established in 2002 and it works in close collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO). The overall objectives of the Foundation are to promote and develop health education and research programs.
Scopus Scopus is Elsevier's abstract and citation database launched in 2004. Scopus covers nearly 36,377 titles (22,794 active titles and 13,583 Inactive titles) from approximately 11,678 publishers, of which 34,346 are peer-reviewed journals in top-level subject fields: life sciences, social sciences, physical sciences and health sciences.
Embase Embase (often styled EMBASE for Excerpta Medica dataBASE), produced by Elsevier, is a biomedical and pharmacological database of published literature designed to support information managers and pharmacovigilance in complying with the regulatory requirements of a licensed drug.