Bilateral Pneumothorax and Subcutaneous Emphysema following Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography with Sphincterectomy
1,Department of Internal Medicine General Hospital Slovenj Gradec
DOI: 10.22514/SV102.122015.13 Vol.10,Issue 2,December 2015 pp.192-201
Published: 14 December 2015
Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) is a valuable diagnostic and therapeutic procedure in the management of pancreatic and extrahepatic biliary tract diseases. Although rare, it is related to several complications including retroperitoneal duodenal perforation. The perforation results in air accumulation in the retroperitoneal, pleural or subcutaneous space. We present a case of 63-year-old female with massive bilateral pneumothorax and subcutaneous emphysema following therapeutic ERCP.
endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography, pneumothorax, subcutaneous emphysema, complications of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography
TAJDA KEBER,KLEMEN MOJŠKERC,JANA MAKUC. Bilateral Pneumothorax and Subcutaneous Emphysema following Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography with Sphincterectomy. Signa Vitae. 2015. 10(2);192-201.
1. Masci E, Toti G, Mariani A, Curioni S, Lomazzi A, Dinelli M, et al. Complications of Diagnostic and Therapeutic ERCP: A Prospective Multicenter Study. AJG 2001;96(2):417-23.
2. Papamichail M, Nikolaidis N, Anastasiou E, Sidirokastritis G, Prigouris P. Massive Subcutaneous Emphysema following Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography with Sphincterectomy. Case Rep Gastroenterol 2010;4:399-403.
3. Schiavon LL, Rodrigues RA, Nakao FS, DiSena VO, Ferrari AP, Libera ED Jr. Subcutaneous Emphysema, Pneumothorax and Pneumomediastinum Following Endoscopic Sphincterotomy. Gastroenterology Research 2010;3(5):216-8.
4. Maturana Ibáñez V, Ferrer Márquez M, Moreno Serrano A, Rodríguez Morillas D, Belda Lozano R. Management of Retreopneumoperitoneum After ERCP. Cir Esp 2013;91:608-9.
5. Schepers NJ, van Buuren HR. Pneumothorax Following ERCP: Report of Four Cases and Review of Literature. Dig Dis Sci 2012;57:1990-5.
6. Alexiou K, Sakellaridis T, Sikalias N, Karanikas I, Economou N, Antsaklis
G. Subcutaneous emphysema, pneumomediastinum and pneumoperitoneum after unsuccessful ERCP: a case report. Cases Journal 2009;2:120.
7. Neofytou K, Petrou A, Savva C, Petrides C, Andreou C, Felekouras E, et al. Pneumothorax Following ERCP: Report of Two Cases with Different Patophysiology. Case Reports in Medicine vol. 2013, Article ID 206564, 4 pages, 2013. doi:10.1155/2013/206564
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch) Created as SCI in 1964, Science Citation Index Expanded now indexes over 9,200 of the world’s most impactful journals across 178 scientific disciplines. More than 53 million records and 1.18 billion cited references date back from 1900 to present.
Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition Journal Citation Reports/Science Edition aims to evaluate a journal’s value from multiple perspectives including the journal impact factor, descriptive data about a journal’s open access content as well as contributing authors, and provide readers a transparent and publisher-neutral data & statistics information about the journal.
Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index The CAS Source Index (CASSI) Search Tool is an online resource that can quickly identify or confirm journal titles and abbreviations for publications indexed by CAS since 1907, including serial and non-serial scientific and technical publications.
IndexCopernicus The Index Copernicus International (ICI) Journals database’s is an international indexation database of scientific journals. It covered international scientific journals which divided into general information, contents of individual issues, detailed bibliography (references) sections for every publication, as well as full texts of publications in the form of attached files (optional). For now, there are more than 58,000 scientific journals registered at ICI.
Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research The Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research (GFMER) is a non-profit organization established in 2002 and it works in close collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO). The overall objectives of the Foundation are to promote and develop health education and research programs.
Scopus: CiteScore 0.5(2019) Scopus is Elsevier's abstract and citation database launched in 2004. Scopus covers nearly 36,377 titles (22,794 active titles and 13,583 Inactive titles) from approximately 11,678 publishers, of which 34,346 are peer-reviewed journals in top-level subject fields: life sciences, social sciences, physical sciences and health sciences.
Embase Embase (often styled EMBASE for Excerpta Medica dataBASE), produced by Elsevier, is a biomedical and pharmacological database of published literature designed to support information managers and pharmacovigilance in complying with the regulatory requirements of a licensed drug.